Please view the below listing of open jobs APGA member publicly-owned natural gas utilities.
Note to Employers: Your APGA membership allows you to advertise your publicly-owned system's job openings. Your listing can also be placed in APGA's bi-weekly Public Gas News publication which goes out in printed and electronic copies to our members. The APGA member price for posting a job advertisement in Public Gas News is $100.00 for 100 words or less and 25 cents for each additional word. APGA does not allow non-members to post job advertisements in APGA publications effective March 2015. To view print rates & policies please click here. To post a job, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202-464-2742.
When submitting a job ad, an applicant is required to give their contact information including name, company, phone, fax and e-mail address and agrees to have their information stored in our database. All job listings must comply with federal guidelines and standards and all companies must be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Listings will be removed within 30 days after the application deadline unless otherwise stated.
Water, Sewer AND Gas Superintendent - City of Holly Springs Utility Department, Miss.
OPENING DATE: March 18, 2020 / CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
The City of Holly Springs Utility Department is accepting applications to fill the position of Water, Sewer, and Gas Superintendent.
I. Job Summary
Responsible for planning, coordination, supervision, inspection, maintenance, and construction of water and gas distribution and sewage collection and treatment systems. Supervises support services including, meter reading, facility location, right of way maintenance, warehouse operation, and vehicle maintenance. Supervises staff with responsibility for employment-related decisions or recommendations that include hiring, training, evaluating performance, and disciplining.
II. Duties and Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include those listed below and may be supplemented, as necessary. Reasonable accommodations may be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Other duties may be assigned, as indicated below.
1. Oversees planning, coordination, supervision, inspection, maintenance, and construction of water, sewer and gas systems.
2. Supervises support services including, meter reading, facility location, right of way maintenance, warehouse operation, and vehicle maintenance.
3. Designs and/or determines system requirements of water, sewer and gas facilities.
4. Ensures compliance with HSUD, local, state, and federal standards, requirements, and procedures.
5. Conducts regularly scheduled safety meetings and job site inspections to ensure that crews work in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safety rules, regulations and procedures.
6. Determines work schedules and personnel requirements to meet operational needs, including planned and emergency overtime.
7. Oversees vehicle preventive maintenance program.
8. Responds to questions and concerns regarding service requirements, billing, right of way maintenance, and quality of service issues.
9. Institutes appropriate processes, procedures, and other measures to ensure meter reading accuracy.
10. Confers with contractors and engineers concerning plans, specifications, and quality of work performed.
11. Coordinates and/or oversees training for staff, including apprenticeship program(s).
12. Recommends, advertises, and evaluates bid proposals related to utility purchases, contracts, projects, and related services.
13. Recommends purchases, including materials, supplies, and equipment for water, sewer and gas and support services.
14. Develops, recommends, and monitors budget for Water, Sewer, Gas and support services,
15. Supervises staff with responsibility for employment-related decisions or recommendations that include hiring, training, evaluating performance, and disciplining,
16. Stays abreast of changes in design and construction of Water, Sewer and Gas systems.
17. Responds to emergencies on a 24/7 basis, as required
18. Perform other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or General Educational Development (GED) plus ten (10) years experience in water, sewer and gas utility operations; or Bachelor's Degree in a related field and five (5) years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, Leadership experience overseeing employees and/or projects. Knowledge of construction materials, practices and techniques. Ability to read and interpret construction plans and specifications. Basic computer skills. Knowledge of safety requirements, procedures, and practices, Commitment to safety in all aspects of the job. Effective communication (oral and written), interpersonal skills, conflict resolution, analytic, administrative, and public relations skills. Knowledge and use of construction tools and equipment related to construction and maintenance of water, sewer and gas distribution systems, Knowledge of applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations. Ability to understand and apply city and county codes, ordinances, and regulations governing construction projects, Ability to plan and carry out multiple assignments. Project coordination experience. Ability to hire, train, and supervise staff. Valid Mississippi driver's license.
IV. Work Environment
The following are representative of the environmental conditions in which an employee works while performing the essential functions of this job.
The work is performed inside under normal office conditions and outside under varying conditions, including time spent at construction sites. Talking and hearing are necessary in communicating with others. Mobility to and from various work areas and external facilities is required. Physical activities include sitting, walking on varying terrains, bending, crouching, kneeling, reaching, standing, pushing, pulling, stooping, and moderate lifting.
The noise level is normal for an office work environment and varies when working outside or at external facilities. Effective vision (near and far) and the ability to distinguish colors are required. Physical stamina is required.
Employment applications may be printed from www.hollyspringsmsus.com and submitted via fax 662-252-1330 or mail to:
City of Holly Springs Human Resources Department
Attn: Yolanda Carter, Human Resources Director
1180 Highway 311 North
Holly Springs, MS 38635
THE CITY OF HOLLY SPRINGS UTILITY DEPARTMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Gas Measurement Technician - North Alabama Gas District
North Alabama Gas District, a municipally-owned natural gas utility operating in Colbert, Lawrence, Limestone, and Madison counties of North Alabama is seeking a qualified candidate to fill a Gas Measurement Technician position. "Hands on" work experience related to the following areas is preferred:
- Gas Distribution Operations
- Measurement (orifice, turbine, rotary, etc.)
- Regulation and over pressure protection (30 psi to 600 psi)
- Flow computers, communications, electronics, etc.
North Alabama Gas District offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Residency requirements will
apply. Interested candidates should send resumes, including detailed work history, to:
North Alabama Gas District
PO Box 2590
Muscle Shoals AL 35662
Attn: Job Applicant
Posted June 8, 2020
Director, Engineering & Field Operations - Owatonna Public Utilities, MN
The Owatonna Public Utilities, supplier of electricity, water, and natural gas services in Owatonna, Minnesota is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Director, Engineering & Field Operations.
Candidates must have:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering
- Be a Registered Professional Engineer
- Managed an Electric Utility Distribution system
- Expert Knowledge in Electric Engineering Principles
- Employee Engagement and Development
- Exceptional Communication, Interpersonal and Leadership skills
- Personal Commitment to provide Excellent Customer Service
- Personal Commitment to Safety
- Municipal Utility Experience
- 5 Years of Electric Utility Experience
- 2 years of Supervisory Experience
- Multiple commodity utility experience
This position reports directly to the General Manager. OPU’s compensation and benefits are competitive and will be dependent upon qualifications and experience. An Opportunity Profile provides additional information regarding the position and OPU and is located on our website at https://www.owatonnautilities.com/about-us/employment-opportunities/. Interested candidates may apply by submitting a cover letter and resume no later than April 10, 2020 to the email below:
Human Resources Manager
Owatonna Public Utilities
208 S. Walnut Avenue
P.O. Box 800
Owatonna, MN 55060
507-446-5414 or 507-446-5488
Equal Opportunity Employer
Posted on 3/10/2020
Gas Service Technician - Trussville Gas and Water, AL
Trussville Gas and Water provides water and gas service to 8 communities in Central Alabama. Our gas coverage area includes parts of Argo, Birmingham, Center Point, Clay, Irondale, Margaret, Pinson and Trussville.
We are recruiting a Gas Service Technician position. This individual performs a variety of natural gas service duties to include customer service-related field tasks as well as skilled work in the installation, maintenance, and repair of the gas distribution systems.
- SAFETY is the number one responsibility of every employee at Trussville Gas and Water – this includes the safe operation and inspection of assigned Company vehicles and equipment.
- Work Orders: Inspect customer gas piping to ensure safe operations. Light pilots of natural gas appliances. Replace and install, meters and regulators as required by work orders issued from Customer Service. Paint meters as required. Service installation and poly-welding.
- Gas Leak Calls: Respond to assigned leak calls. Evaluate and diagnose leaks on services and mains. Determine next steps or make immediate onsite repairs if possible. When an emergency condition exists, call-out first responders and initiate the emergency response plan. Once fully trained the technician will be part of an on-call rotation for after-hours leak investigations.
- Water emergencies: Responding to water emergency calls including, but not limited to repairing water meters, service lines and water mains.
- Must become familiar with the contents of the Safety Manual and be involved in creating and maintaining a safe working environment. Must complete all required safety training.
- Other duties as required, commensurate with experience, skills, and abilities.
- Possess a journeyman gasfitter or master gasfitter license.
- High school diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.).
- The position requires pre and post-employment screenings including drug and alcohol testing (as outlined by the Department of Transportation and Pipeline & Hazardous Materials Safety Administration), motor vehicle record (MVR) checks, criminal history checks, and other background checks and verifications.
- Effective verbal communication skills and interpersonal/customer service skills (listening, cooperation, tact, diplomacy).
- Once hired, requires the successful completion of Trussville Gas and Water Gas Operator Qualification (OQ) and On the Job Training (OJT). Must maintain position OQs and any other required OQs and classroom training or certifications. Computer literacy required for completing service orders in customer information system.
- Ability to perform physical activities including but not limited to bending, stooping, grasping, reaching, twisting, turning, and lifting.
- Must be able to lift tools, equipment, and materials up to 60 pounds.
- Ability to complete reports legibly and accurately on paper and digitally.
- Must live within 30 minutes of service area due to call-out response time.
- May be required to hold stand-by duty work shifts, holidays, weekends, emergency call outs, and occasional extended hours.
- Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather and may be exposed to extremes of climate and temperatures, high noise levels, rough terrain, and occasional work on ladders, roofs, attics, and under houses as well as confined spaces.
- Prior utility experience preferred.
- Willingness to develop solid understanding of gas distribution and/or gas systems.
- Ability to read and interpret maps, blueprints, service orders and written instructions.
- Ability to use small hand tools and other metering and measuring devices.
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of direct supervision.
Trussville Gas and Water offers extremely competitive salaries, an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, and other insurance coverage, generous time-off schedules, training opportunities, tuition reimbursement, and certification support.
Job Type: Full-time
- Normal Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m-5:00 p.m.
- Some overtime including nights and weekends required.
- Natural gas experience, with emphasis on natural gas appliances and piping.
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- State Retirement Plan
- Paid vacation
- Sick leave
- Tuition reimbursement
To learn more about us and apply for this position, visit our website: www.trussville.com
- Be sure to attach your current resume and a cover letter, including salary requirements.
- Trussville Gas and Water provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Posted on 2/13/2020
General Manager - Clinton Newberry Natural Gas Authority
The Clinton Newberry Natural Gas Authority (Authority) is seeking candidates for its position of General Manager. The Authority is a governmental natural gas system serving a diverse customer-based of more than 13,000 customers between the metropolitan areas of Greenville-Spartanburg and Columbia, South Carolina. This is a tremendous opportunity for the right candidate!
As the top executive leadership position, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing, planning and directing the activities of the Authority’s workforce of approximately 50 personnel to ensure the proper agency administration and provision of public services. The position reports to the Clinton Newberry Natural Gas Authority Board of Directors that comprise of the mayors and two councilmen of both the City of Clinton and the City of Newberry with an at-large seventh member that must reside from the service area.
Duties and responsibilities include those typical of a top organization position. They include:
• Representing the Authority in all matters including communicating with customers, Board members, employees, vendors, community organizations, joint purchasing agencies, etc.
• Developing, recommending and implementing administrative and operational strategies, policies and procedures as well as submitting and administering the Authority’s annual budgets, internal and external reports.
• Overseeing the Authority’s allocation of workforce, schedules, standards and duties of assigned staff as well as the quantity and quality of results.
• Responsibility and managing the Authority’s natural gas supply procurement process, strategy, contracts, and logistics.
• All personnel matters regarding hiring, discharge, promotions, discipline and compensation.
The minimum training and experience for this position requires a Bachelor’s degree in engineering or business (a Master’s degree preferred), supplemented by seven or more years of experience in natural gas operations and/or administration, and at least three years of managerial experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Must possess and maintain a valid state of South Carolina driver's license.
It is expected that the successful candidate will surpass the minimum qualifications and have significant and specific experience and training in both business and technical aspects of the natural gas distribution industry.
Compensation and relocation are negotiable
Send Resumes to: Clinton Newberry Natural Gas Authority
Att: Mr. Stan Bryson
PO Box 511
Clinton, SC 29325
Posted on 2/7/2020
|Did You Know?
The APGA job bank is one of our most-visited pages, reaching over 700 gas professionals per month. Posting a job here guarantees a lot of high quality views. Posting jobs here is free for APGA members, please contact APGA to post your listing.