Please view the below listing of open jobs APGA member publicly-owned natural gas utilities.
Note to Employers: Your APGA membership allows you to advertise your publicly-owned system's job openings. To post a job, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202-464-2742.
When submitting a job ad, an applicant is required to give their contact information including name, company, phone, fax and e-mail address and agrees to have their information stored in our database. All job listings must comply with federal guidelines and standards and all companies must be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Listings will be removed within 30 days after the application deadline unless otherwise stated.
Gas System Engineering Manager - Clearwater, FL
OPENING DATE: 01/08/21
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
Entry Salary - $83,169.46 Under limited direction, the Gas System Engineering Manager provides engineering, technical support, pipeline design, corrosion prevention, capital planning, and project management for Clearwater Gas Systems gas assets and infrastructure. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Essential Functions: -- Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Licenses, Certifications, and Equipment:
- Manages, oversees, and directs the daily tasks of permitting, system design, GIS updates, cathodic protection, and other design activities for the gas system; provides technical planning and engineering direction and management.
Coordinates, organizes, and conducts meetings discussing projects and status of completion; oversees and monitors material requirements, permit status, Contractor agreements, easement and survey requirements, PSC Notification requirements, and other details; identifies and addresses problems or shortfalls in project implementation.
- Thorough knowledge of 49CFR Part 192, Gas Standards and Specifications and Standard Operating Procedures, as well as best industry practices in the engineering design and project construction area of distribution systems.
- Supervises, manages, and oversees personnel hiring, training, discipline, and general human resources; distributes applications, identifies strong candidates, compiles all necessary paperwork, and coordinates interviews; provides performance evaluation, conducts meetings with the supervisor, handles discipline, and assists personnel with problem resolution.
- Engages, communicates, and collaborates with the supervisors and crew involved in various areas of construction, inspection, and maintenance; monitors and stays current with various states of projects and work assignments; identifies and addresses any issues or concerns, communicates with internal and external customers, and follows up on past issues.
- \Works with Contractors to ensure all specifications of jobs are communicated; delivers project packets to crews and inspectors, engages with Gas Section Manager (Safety/Training) and Gas Safety & Regulatory Compliance Coordinator to ensure all contractors are qualified to perform work, monitors work progress and delegation of work, and completes necessary documentation for the project.
- Updates staging areas and staging teams for post-storm emergency deployment.
- Manages gas vehicle budgeting and assignments for all sections of Clearwater Gas System.
- Updates and edits stand by template with employees for each section; maintains information and accuracy.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience: Bachelor's Degree in the field of Engineering (Civil or Mechanical Engineering preferred) AND five (5) years of professional-level experience in gas utility pipeline engineering, construction, and maintenance to include two (2) years of supervisory or management experience in gas operations.
- A valid State driver's license is required.
- Florida Professional Engineering License preferred.
- This position is required to operate the below equipment, machines, tools, and other work aides:
- Fax, copier, phone, radio, computer, vehicles, and other equipment as assigned.
Full Position Description HereThe City of Clearwater is Equal Opportunity EmployerAPPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: http://www.myclearwater.com or https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/clearwaterfl/jobs/2949833/gas-system-engineering-managerPosition #2021-00037 GAS SYSTEM ENGINEERING MANAGER CS100 South Myrtle Avenue Clearwater, FL 33756 727-562-4870 x0 email@example.com(Posted 3/4/2021)
Gas Planning Engineer 4 - Memphis Light, Gas & Water, Memphis, TN
OPENING DATE: FEBRUARY 3, 2021
CLOSING DATE: MARCH 5, 2021
Duties: Train and direct employees engaged in the development/revision of a Comprehensive Gas Master Plan; serve as lead or subject matter expert on projects; plan, forecast and prepare capital expenditure budgets, design improvements, additions and relocations for existing gas utility systems; provide support/ technical assistance as required; and apply intense and diverse knowledge of engineering practices and principles in gas distribution/transmission to conduct independent special projects.
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering with State of Tennessee Professional Engineer’s (P.E.) license. Must have 6-8 years experience in engineering practices and principles in gas distribution/transmission. Must successfully complete NIMS Training within 1 year of entering job. Must have a valid driver’s license from state of residence.
Works inside majority of the time. Subject to construction hazards while making field inspections.
CANDIDATES ACCEPTING EMPLOYMENT WITH MLGW MUST LIVE AND MAINTAIN THEIR RESIDENCE WITHIN THE BOUNDARIES OF SHELBY COUNTY, TENNESSEE WITHIN SIX MONTHS OF THEIR EMPLOYMENT DATE. EOE M/F/D/V TO APPLY FOR THIS JOB GO TO: www.mlgw.com/jobs
(Posted on 2/3/21)
Executive Director - Energy Solutions Center, Washington D.C.
Energy Solutions Center in Washington, DC, has retained Slesinger Management Services to recruit a visionary and innovative leader, ideally with experience in membership associations and energy issues, to serve as executive director. Applications will be accepted until this position is filled.
To see if the search is still active, please see www.SlesingerManagement.com.
Energy Solutions Center (ESC) is a 501(c)(6) nonprofit trade association that supports North American natural gas utilities (local distribution companies) by providing information and training on industry-related products and services to utility professionals that enhance their success with customers.
Via conferences, webinars, and other meetings; magazines and other publications; and other activities, ESC focuses on educating marketing, sales, and customer support staff at gas utilities throughout the United States and Canada with information about new products in the natural gas industry.
Founded about 20 years ago via the merger of two trade associations that focused on various sectors of the natural gas industry, ESC currently has a staff of six and a budget of $1.2 million. Revenue comes primarily from member dues and fees from meetings and other programs.
Staff are split between ESC headquarters in Washington, DC, and home-based offices of three staff in California and Pennsylvania. (During the pandemic, all staff are working from home offices; when the pandemic is over, it is expected that staff in the Washington, DC, area will return to the main office near Union Station.) It is anticipated that the next executive director will work out of the Washington, DC, office.
ESC is governed by a 51-person board of directors. (Each utility that belongs to ESC gets one seat on the board. ESC also has affiliate members, which include equipment manufacturers and vendors, consultant, and nonprofits, a few of whom are also on the governing board.)
Within the board, a seven-person executive committee takes responsibility for many of the governance issues that need to be addressed between board meetings. The executive committee includes the board chair, who serves a one-year term, as well as the chair-elect for the following year, giving the board stability and continuity.
The board is looking for an executive director because David Weiss, who has been ESC’s executive director since its founding, will be retiring in mid-2021.
To learn more about ESC, please see its website.
Principal Responsibilities of the Executive Director
The next executive director’s most important responsibilities include:
1. Providing leadership, vision, strategic direction, and high-level representation to ensure that ESC remains an important and respected source of information and training to sales and marketing staff of natural gas utilities.
2. Managing current programs, especially meetings (both in-person and virtual), with a high level of quality that continues to attract members, and identifying new programs and services that ESC should consider that address member needs. (It should be noted that ESC, despite its location in Washington, DC, does NOT engage in advocacy, lobbying, or public policy work.)
3. Maintaining strong and positive working relationships with key leaders at other national associations in the natural gas and energy fields as well as relevant US Government agencies such as DOE, HUD, and EPA.
4. Identifying new ways to supplement dues income with income-generating activities that meet member needs.
5. Motivating staff – some in the DC headquarters, some in remote offices – to continue to perform at the highest levels with creativity and dedication to the mission of ESC.
6. Supporting the executive committee and the full board as it carries out its governance responsibilities.
Desired Skills, Experience, and Personal Characteristics
To be successful, the executive director should be:
1. Experienced in the work of nonprofit trade associations, where providing exceptional customer service to dues-paying members is essential. CAE certification would be desirable.
2. Experienced in industries going through significant transformation, where a national trade association has the opportunity to help members navigate change so they can flourish in the midst of rapidly changing competitive pressures due to new technology and changes in public policy.
3. Interested in the work of ESC. Knowledge about natural gas, regulated utilities, and energy efficiency is desirable, but not essential.
4. Knowledgeable about sales and marketing, including digital marketing and content platforms that build on changing technology, since these are the functional areas within utilities that ESC focuses on.
5. Comfortable with a hands-on job at a small organization (staff of six, including the executive director) where responsibilities include program development, member retention, and financial management.
6. A collaborative leader, able to draw on the knowledge and experience of a dedicated staff, plus board members who often have 20+ years of experience in the natural gas industry.
7. An excellent communicator, able to motivate, inspire, and persuade members, partners, staff, board members, and other stakeholders to take action that helps ESC carry out its mission. 8. An effective speaker who can represent ESC at meetings with peers in the energy field.
9. Able to develop a strong working relationship with the ESC executive committee and full board, all of whom have full-time jobs at member utilities throughout North America.
10. Able to travel periodically to meet with members, and to attend relevant conferences and meetings.
The anticipated salary will be $200,000 to $220,000, plus a comprehensive benefits package.
1. cover letter that explains why you’re interested and qualified, and
2. resume to search consultant Larry Slesinger, Founder and CEO of Slesinger Management Services, at Larry@SlesingerManagement.com. Please include “ESC” in subject line.
Questions: Contact Larry Slesinger by email or at 301-320-0680.
Applications will be acknowledged promptly.
(Posted on 1/11/21)
Business Management Associate - Knoxville Utilities Board, TN
Vacancy # 17644
Open Date: 01/08/2021 Pay Plan: Engineering & Operations Closing Date: 01/29/2021 Pay Grade: 6, 7, 8 Position Type: Regular/Full-Time Pay Range: $33,700.00 - $63,100.00 Job Information Job Classification: Business Management Associate Department: 072 Gas Systems Engineering Work Location: 4505 Middlebrook Pike Work Schedule: 40+ hours / week: M - F About KUB: The Knoxville Utilities Board (KUB) is one of the largest public utilities in the country providing electric, gas, water and wastewater services to more than 468,000 customers in Knoxville and parts of seven surrounding counties. We exist to serve our customers, improving their quality of life by providing utility services that are safe, reliable and affordable. And our mission is about more than just pipes and wires. It’s about being good stewards of our community’s resources: utility assets, customer dollars, and the environment. We work to safeguard those resources and enhance their value for the people of the communities we serve and generations to come. Work Description: Major functions will include implementation and administration of programs and processes in KUB’s Gas Systems Engineering Department. Works cooperatively & effectively with other departments within KUB including accounting, accounts payable, procurement, new service, construction, and other areas as needed. Works independently and is self-motivated, possesses the ability to multitask and prioritize work, flexible with managing new or additional assignments and projects as dictated by business need or management direction. Prepares correspondence, populates and creates various internal spreadsheets and reports daily, weekly, and monthly. Inputs department time-keeping information into payroll system. Generates requisitions and processes invoices through the financial management system software, including inspecting/auditing accuracy of billing & contract terms. Makes small department pro-card purchases, reviews monthly charges, financial process support, maintains department records, files, and databases as well as various other support and administrative activities. Assist in planning, organizing, & coordinating department functions. Minimum Qualifications
Physical Demands: Sedentary work; exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time in normal office conditions, but does involve walking or standing outside periodically for inspections, customer calls, etc. Work requires no unusual physical demands. Note: The physical demands described above are intended to relate the approximate physical demands of the classification. Physical demands for a specific position within this classification may vary and/ or exceed those demands described above. Additional information regarding specific positions is available in Human Resources. Preferred Qualifications
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Office Management, or a related field OR Two (2) to four (4) years of demonstrated experience in Project Management Assistant, Office Administration, or related field
- Two (2) or more years customer service experience • Must have knowledge of general business management administration •
- Must be proficient in Windows environment and MS Office products (Outlook, Excel, Word, Access)
- Must demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication • Must have strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Must demonstrate customer service skills by tactfully dealing with external & internal customers
- Valid driver’s license
Selection Process (Subject to change)
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
- Experience in public utilities
- Experience in engineering or construction administration
- Experience in PeopleSoft CIS, Maximo, and other enterprise systems
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
If special accommodations are needed for testing purposes, please notify Human resources in advance of the test date. NOTES Only candidates submitting a completed KUB application and completing each component of the selection process will be considered for KUB positions. KUB does not accept unsolicited applications; completed applications are only considered for advertised vacancies. Please no third party inquiries. Due to the volume of applications and resumes we receive, only applicants invited to interview will be contacted. Applicants should apply on all positions of interest. KUB reserves the right to consider applications for additional vacancies in the same classification within 120 days of the original posting, after which time, applicants must reapply to be considered for any openings. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide correct and updated contact information to KUB during the active period of the application. If KUB is unable to contact the applicant because the information on the application is no longer correct, the application will be considered inactive and the applicant no longer eligible for employment.
- Phase 1 Apply online at www.kub.org
- Phase 2 Experience, training, and education evaluation
- Phase 3 Interview with department representatives
- Phase 4 Written, performance, and behavioral exercises
- Phase 5 Background Investigation
- Phase 6 Physical examination and drug screen
(Posted on 1/8/21)
Deputy Energy Resources Director - Mesa, AZ
($112,389.06 - $159,036.80 Annually)
The Deputy Energy Resources Director plans, organizes, and directs the activities of the Energy Resources Department. The position is responsible for the oversight of all operation, maintenance, and construction activities; oversight of Department budget; long-range planning; ensuring profitability; setting strategic direction; preparing reports; operations, maintenance, construction activities and maintaining records relating to the Energy Resources Department.
The incumbent is responsible for the implementation and success of a process improvement and increased productivity program within the Department, and directs or conducts special studies related to operations of the Department. The incumbent acts as a representative of the City at professional organization meetings, with other utilities, with representatives of county, state, and federal regulatory agencies, and to local businesses to administer the operations and improvements for the Department. The position performs related management and administrative duties as required.
This classification has been designated as a non-classified, non-merit system, at-will position. An employee in this class specializes in policy development and planning in the natural gas and electric areas. Under general direction, the position reports directly to the Energy Resources Department Director through meetings, conferences, and reports regarding problems encountered and overall results achieved. In the absence of the Energy Resources Department Director, the incumbent may serve as the Energy Resources Department Director on a rotating basis, and as needed. The Deputy Energy Resources Director is eligible to participate in all benefits available under the Executive Benefit Plan.
This class is FLSA exempt-executive.
Employee Values: All employees of the City of Mesa are expected to uphold and exhibit the City's shared employee values of Knowledge, Respect, and Integrity.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Engineering or related field
- Seven to nine years of progressively responsible experience in managing, administering, and supervising in the Engineering and/or Management of a mid- to large-size organization providing natural gas and/or electric service. Extensive (5+ years) experience in gas and/or electric distribution system engineering
- Extensive (5+ years) experience in the direction of construction, maintenance, and operation of natural gas or electric facilities
- Must possess a valid Arizona Driver's License by hire date
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master's Degree in Business or Public Administration is preferred
Please refer to the link below for the full job description and additional information regarding assignments, preferred qualifications, and essential functions.
City of Mesa offers a competitive benefits package. A CITY OF MESA ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. Applications available 01/01/2021 and must apply by 01/14/2021 Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as we will review applications as they are received. For complete job description, requirements and online application form, please visit our web site at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mesaa
City of Mesa is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. E
(Posted on 1/6/20)
General Manager – Westfield Gas & Electric, Massachusettes
Position Title:General Manager
Job Type: Full Time
Company: Westfield Gas & Electric
Location(s): Westfield, MA, 01085 United States
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree with advance degree preferred
Minimum Experience: 15 Years – Utility Distribution (Gas, Electric, and Telecom) Systems
Application Deadline: December 31, 2020
General: Westfield Gas & Electric is a community owned utility with a 100+ year reputation of excellence. As the local provider of utility services, including gas, electric and telecommunications in one enterprise, the manager supports and cultivates a work culture dedicated to competitive rates, reliability of service and customer satisfaction.
Westfield Gas & Electric serves 18,033 electric meters and 10,578 gas meters with annual revenues of $67,024,926. In 2015, Whip City Fiber (WCF) was launched. WCF is a high-speed gigabit FTTP internet service within the community and surrounding areas that is growing at an accelerated rate. The workforce numbers 91 full-time employees. The General Manager is responsible for the full operation and financial oversight of distinct and separate financial portfolios for each of the three utilities.
Westfield Gas & Electric maintains and follows a ten year strategic plan guiding the utility and resulting in a Standard & Poor’s Grade A+ investment rating as well as a Diamond designation in RP3 (Reliable Public Power Provider) program sponsored by the American Public Power Association, and a Silver designation as SOAR (System Operational Achievement Recognition) gas provider with the American Public Gas Association.
The General Manager is the Chief Executive Officer for the utility having full charge of the operation and management of the utility under the general direction and control of the Municipal Light Board subject to Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 164 Section 56.
- Full charge of the operation and management of the utility.
- Full charge of the manufacture and distribution of gas and electricity.
- Full charge of the purchase of supplies.
- Full charge of the employment of attorneys, agents and servants.
- Full charge of the method, time, price quantity and quality of supply.
- Full charge of the collection of bills.
- Full charge of the keeping of accounts.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Minimum 15 years management experience within the utility (gas, electric, and telecom) distribution industry.
- A Bachelor’s degree with strong preference toward advanced degree.
- Demonstrated capability/experience in understanding gas, electric, and technology networks.
- Proven experience in capital management.
- Acumen in multimillion-dollar financial budgeting.
- Legal acumen specifically in the areas of statutory and industry regulation, labor relations and negotiated labor agreements.
- Proven excellence in communication with industry experts and within political realms.
- Demonstrated engagement in community-focused organizations and participation in associated civic activities.
For consideration, email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Westfield Gas & Electric
Attn: Human Resources
100 Elm Street, P.O. Box 990
Westfield, Massachusetts 01086
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
General Manager – Barrow Utilities & Electric Cooperative, Inc. Utqiagvik, Alaska
The Board of Directors for Barrow Utilities & Electric Cooperative, Inc. (BUECI) is seeking competent and enthusiastic candidates to succeed the current General Manager (GM) who will retire next spring. BUECI has retained NRECA’s Executive Search Group to facilitate the search process.
Barrow Utilities & Electric Cooperative is a member-owned cooperative serving the city of Utqiavik, Alaska (also known as Barrow). It is the largest city, and the borough seat, for the North Slope Borough. BUECI employs 70 professionals serving approximately 2,050 consumer-members who are predominantly subsistence hunters and whalers. In addition to electric service, BUECI provides a comprehensive range of services that include water distribution, waste water treatment, and natural gas distribution. The Cooperative’s annual revenue is nearly $27 million with total utility plant of $61.5 million. All of the Cooperative’s consumer-members are located in the North Slope Borough with 75% of electricity sales from commercial customers, and 25% from residential. Natural gas distribution is 68% commercial and 32% residential. Commercial customers include natural gas facilities, Ilisagvik College, and a full range of community facilities (e.g., schools, hospital, municipal infrastructure, etc.). BUECI generates all of its wholesale power with natural gas generation; acquiring fuel from local resources. The Cooperative is a member of the Alaska Power Association, NRECA, CFC, American Public Gas Association, American Water Works Association, and Northwest Public Power Association. Because of the diverse services provided, the position of GM with BUECI is a rare and rewarding opportunity.
Successful candidates must have a minimum of seven (7) years utility experience, preferably within the rural utility program, and at least five (5) years of leadership experience in a senior management position. A bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field is preferred. Candidates must have broad utility management experience in fields including electric and natural gas generation and distribution, water distribution, and waste water treatment. Knowledge and background that includes such areas as operations and safety, finance, strategic planning, team building, and member communications is important. The successful candidate will be a person of integrity and have excellent people and communications skills, proven leadership ability, a strong commitment to “Cooperative Principles” and demonstrate “Inupiat Values.”
Utqiagvik, Alaska is located 320 miles north of the Arctic Circle and is the northernmost city in the United States. Though the community is not accessible by ground transportation, Alaska Airlines provides reliable and affordable daily 737 service to Anchorage, 725 air-miles south. Utqiagvik is a thriving, close-knit, inclusive, and welcoming community with a population of 4,500. It has a very proud native cultural heritage that dates back several hundred years. Throughout the year there are many community festivals that celebrate that heritage, including: Messenger Festival, Spring Festival, Blanket Toss Celebration, Christmas Games, and several more activities. The North Slope Borough School District supports and elementary school, middle school, and high school that are all located in Utqiagvik. In addition, Ilisagvik College offers associate degrees in a wide range of fields, including indigenous studies. The college also offers a bachelor’s degree in business management. Residents will tell you it’s a great place to live. In addition to the opportunities to enjoy cultural events, there is an abundance of outdoor activities such as hunting, fishing, and more. Utqiagvik is truly a unique community that offers activities that appeal to most peoples’ interests.
Barrow Utilities & Electric Cooperative, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers an excellent retirement plan through the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association, competitive benefit programs that include air travel allowances, and a very competitive salary commensurate with qualifications. Anyone interested in this position should direct their inquiry to NRECA Executive Search and submit the following electronically: 1) Cover Letter, 2) two to three-page resume, and 3) at least three professional references and/or letters of recommendation. Applications must be received by December 4, 2020 and submitted via the NRECA Executive Search Career page at https://www.electric.coop/our-organization/careers/ . If you have any questions, please contact:
Rick Crinklaw, NRECA Executive Search
All replies are confidential
Natural Gas Supply Coordinator – Huntsville Utilities, Alabama
Job Code: 42-015 Req# 1261
Open: 10/15/2020 Closes: 11/05/2020 (External) # of Positions: 1
View position on Huntsville Utilities website: Natural Gas Supply Coordinator (link active on Oct 15)
Huntsville Utilities offers a customer service driven environment, with access to industry-leading technology that supports our employee's work and resources to drive career advancement. Join Us at Huntsville Utilities, where our team is customer service-driven and uniquely focused on one goal: To provide high quality, low cost, safe and reliable electric, natural gas and water service to our customers.
Salary Range/Grade: Grade 6
Employment Type: Full-Time
Department: Gas Supply.
Job Statement: Administers all gas supply contracts and verifies all invoices for the department related to the purchase and sale of natural gas. Implements daily and long-term plan to determine system supply and capacity requirements for natural gas. Coordinates daily plans with Senior Natural Gas Supply Coordinator and Budget and Rates Director. Works directly with any supply agents, commodity traders, producers, suppliers and pipeline transportation and storage service providers to ensure these requirements are met.
1. Plans for and procures adequate natural gas supply to meet Huntsville Utilities’ (HU) system demand. Includes analyzing daily consumption, base load requirements, projected growth, environmental and natural gas market conditions.
2. Develops and monitors the gas supply strategy in accordance with HU policies and subject to the Natural Gas Purchasing Procedures. Communicates regularly with the Gas Purchasing Committee (GPC) to understand organizational goals during the development of the gas supply strategy and provides regular updates on purchasing activity, opportunities and risks.
3. Monitors executed New York Mercantile Exchange (NYMEX) futures supply positions, evaluates and informs the GPC of any financial exposure to any unhedged positions.
4. Understand HU’s natural gas rate components and advises the GPC of the effect of commodity purchase prices on customer rates.
5. Schedules and manages natural gas with suppliers and pipelines as needed to meet system requirements; notifies Systems Operations of scheduled gas flows and communicates any necessary adjustments; coordinates usage and balancing with the gas pipelines.
6. Ensures that HU maintains an appropriate selection of contracts with reputable suppliers to provide firm and reliable natural gas supplies. Maintains professional customer relationships and acts in accordance with the HU Purchasing policy. The duties and responsibilities outlined within this job description should not be construed as a complete and exhaustive list, as it is not the intention to limit in any way the scope or functions of this position. With the agreement of the VP EE, HRD, Compensation Analyst, or his/her designee, these duties and responsibilities may be amended from time to time by addition, deletion or modification to reflect changing circumstances or shifts in organizational requirements.
7. Accounts for all natural gas purchases and consumption by providing detailed documentation needed for accounting, internal controls and establishing valid usage references.
8. Stays abreast of natural gas market data, long-term forecasts, industry developments, FERC rulings and regulations, current pipeline rate cases and other relevant information to make educated purchasing decisions.
9. Assists natural gas rates consultants with a cost of service study to determine if HU rates are costbased, satisfy expected revenue requirements and are in line with the rates of peer utilities.
10. Prepares the annual HU natural gas revenue and purchased commodity budgets for the organization. Prepares the Gas Supply operating expense and capital budgets. May be called upon to assist with other budget or rates activities or analysis.
11. Other duties as assigned.
Education/Training/Certification: A bachelor’s degree in a finance, mathematical or procurement related discipline is required.
Experience: Must have at least three 3 years of prior work experience, with references, in a natural gas commodity purchasing/marketing position with a utility, energy company, natural gas marketer or supplier who sells and distributes gas to wholesale consumers such as regulated natural gas distribution companies and/or municipal gas companies. Must be experienced with current natural gas physical and commodity markets. Must understand fundamentals of the natural gas industry including knowledge of production/supply issues, pipeline transmission infrastructure and distribution. Requires in-depth knowledge of natural gas purchasing techniques, including use of financial trading tools common to commodity pricing. Must be able to independently manage daily operations and to address critical operational issues; must be familiar with pipeline transmission systems and general distribution issues in order to manage gas supply effectively. Requires knowledge of distribution rate design and cost allocation. Must be proficient in the use of computers/software to obtain instant and accurate price listings, to track inventory levels, to process orders and to help determine when to make purchases.
Equipment: Standard desktop/laptop workstation. Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint is required.
Travel: To stay abreast of industry and market trends and to network with buyers, suppliers and pipeline personnel, this position does require an above average amount of travel for conferences, seminars and training across the continental United States. As a result, some degree of travelling by commercial flights is expected as well as local or regional travel by automobile
Physical Demands/Environmental Conditions: Primarily sedentary activity in office environment is expected. Occasional field work involving very light physical exertion and infrequent exposure to inclement weather.
Other: Must possess excellent written, verbal and presentation communication skills. Technical writing and brokerage experience a plus. Strong analytical background required. Must be available to be on-call weekends and after hours.
Job Specific Competencies:
1. Acting Strategically
2. Coordinating Project Activities
3. Creating and Maintaining Networks
4. Demonstrating Initiative
5. Managing Risk
6. Solving Complex Problems
The duties and responsibilities outlined within this job description should not be construed as a complete and exhaustive list, as it is not the intention to limit in any way the scope or functions of this position. With the agreement of the VP EE, HRD, Compensation Analyst, or his/her designee, these duties and responsibilities may be amended from time to time by addition, deletion or modification to reflect changing circumstances or shifts in organizational requirements
Gas Systems Specialist – City of Vernon, California
MONTHLY SALARY: $8,536 - $10,376
FINAL FILING DATE: SUNDAY, OCTOBER 4, 2020 by 11:59 PM OR when we receive the first 100 qualified applications, whichever occurs first.
SUMMARY: Under general supervision, performs semi-skilled and skilled work associated with the operation, maintenance, and construction of the City’s natural gas distribution system.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High school diploma or equivalent; AND Four years of experience in natural gas field operations, including experience in natural gas systems, gas metering, pressure regulation and underground construction.
LICENSE & CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: A valid California State Driver’s License and verifiable natural gas Operator Qualifications (OQ) certification.
Must successfully complete Operator Qualification training within 12 months of appointment, and maintain certification for the duration of employment in this classification.
SELECTION PROCESS: Applications must be submitted online at http://www.cityofvernon.org/departments/human-resources/employment-opportunities To view the complete job description and job flyer, please visit our website at http://www.cityofvernon.org The City of Vernon is an equal opportunity employer. Any questions, please contact: Lisette Grizzelle, Sr. HR Analyst at (323) 583-8811, ext. 166.
Gas Service Technician – Trussville Gas and Water, Alabama
Trussville Gas and Water provides water and gas service to 8 communities in Central Alabama. Our gas coverage area includes parts of Argo, Birmingham, Center Point, Clay, Irondale, Margaret, Pinson and Trussville.
We are recruiting a Gas Service Technician position. This individual performs a variety of natural gas service duties to include customer service-related field tasks as well as skilled work in the installation, maintenance, and repair of the gas distribution systems.
- SAFETY is the number one responsibility of every employee at Trussville Gas and Water – this includes the safe operation and inspection of assigned Company vehicles and equipment.
- Work Orders: Inspect customer gas piping to ensure safe operations. Light pilots of natural gas appliances. Replace and install, meters and regulators as required by work orders issued from Customer Service. Paint meters as required. Service installation and poly-welding.
- Gas Leak Calls: Respond to assigned leak calls. Evaluate and diagnose leaks on services and mains. Determine next steps or make immediate onsite repairs if possible. When an emergency condition exists, call-out first responders and initiate the emergency response plan. Once fully trained the technician will be part of an on-call rotation for after-hours leak investigations.
- Water emergencies: Responding to water emergency calls including, but not limited to repairing water meters, service lines and water mains.
- Must become familiar with the contents of the Safety Manual and be involved in creating and maintaining a safe working environment. Must complete all required safety training.
- Other duties as required, commensurate with experience, skills, and abilities.
- Possess a journeyman gas fitter or master gas fitter license.
- High school diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.).
- The position requires pre and post-employment screenings including drug and alcohol testing (as outlined by the Department of Transportation and Pipeline & Hazardous Materials Safety Administration), motor vehicle record (MVR) checks, criminal history checks, and other background checks and verifications.
- Effective verbal communication skills and interpersonal/customer service skills (listening, cooperation, tact, diplomacy).
- Once hired, requires the successful completion of Trussville Gas and Water Gas Operator Qualification (OQ) and On the Job Training (OJT). Must maintain position OQs and any other required OQs and classroom training or certifications. Computer literacy required for completing service orders in customer information system.
- Ability to perform physical activities including but not limited to bending, stooping, grasping, reaching, twisting, turning, and lifting.
- Must be able to lift tools, equipment, and materials up to 60 pounds.
- Ability to complete reports legibly and accurately on paper and digitally.
- Must live within 30 minutes of service area due to call-out response time.
- May be required to hold stand-by duty work shifts, holidays, weekends, emergency call outs, and occasional extended hours.
- Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather and may be exposed to extremes of climate and temperatures, high noise levels, rough terrain, and occasional work on ladders, roofs, attics, and under houses as well as confined spaces.
- Prior utility experience preferred.
- Willingness to develop solid understanding of gas distribution and/or gas systems.
- Ability to read and interpret maps, blueprints, service orders and written instructions.
- Ability to use small hand tools and other metering and measuring devices.
- Ability to work independently with a minimum of direct supervision.
Trussville Gas and Water offers extremely competitive salaries, an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, and other insurance coverage, generous time-off schedules, training opportunities, tuition reimbursement, and certification support.
Job Type: Full-time
- Normal Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m-5:00 p.m.
- Some overtime including nights and weekends required.
- Natural gas experience, with emphasis on natural gas appliances and piping.
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- State Retirement Plan
- Paid vacation
- Sick leave
- Tuition reimbursement
To learn more about us and apply for this position, visit our website: www.trussville.com
- . Be sure to attach your current resume and a cover letter, including salary requirements.
- Trussville Gas and Water provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
- This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
UTILITY OPERATIONS DIRECTOR – AUSTIN MN
OPENING DATE: July 27, 2020 / CLOSING DATE: Until filled
SUMMARY Provides responsible leadership and overall direction to the Electric, Gas and Water (Utilities) operations of Austin Utilities. Related to these Utilities, responsibilities include financial and performance management, strategic planning, engineering, contract management, and system design. Accountable for operating results with established policies and objectives and for operating procedures which ensure compliance with regulations intended to protect human life, the natural environment and the Utilities’ investment in Utilities’ property.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS Extensive leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative. Provides executive and administrative leadership to employees; this position requires proven communication skills, leadership skills, innovation and achieving results through team collaboration and commitment.
JOB DUTIES OR ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS The essential functions of the position include, but are not limited to the following:
• Assume full management responsibility for the functions, plans and direction of the operation and maintenance of the electric, gas, and water utilities and the related utility systems and equipment.
• Participate as part of the Executive Leadership Team, collaboratively working to exemplify the desired culture (attitudes and behaviors) of the Utilities.
• Provide leadership, support and development to employees consistent with Austin Utilities Mission & Values to successfully execute each utility’s role and to promote employee behavior supportive of each utility’s model.
• Participate with other agencies in the procurement and management of power and gas; system planning; system security; provide operations management for all work related to the design, engineering, construction, maintenance and operation of the combined utilities to assure the success of the core products and services provided.
• Establish within Austin Utilities Policy, appropriate service and staffing levels, monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; allocates resources accordingly to assure performance.
• Communicate the actions and issues within and outside the Utility Operations, determines the operating protocols and practices of each of the utilities in support of operations and assures the success of the core products and services provided.
• Organize and prepare timely communications of operational related documents, projects, and developments for Board of Commission approval; Responsible for the preparation and implementation of Austin Utilities Strategic Plan for the Electric, Gas and Water Utilities; Assists and supports the Leadership Team with implementing the company’s strategic plan and vision across all business units.
• Promote a vision for Austin Utilities that creates an environment for continual improvement, enhanced efficiencies and the implementation of innovative technologies; Seek out new products and services that benefit Austin Utilities.
• Develop the potential in every person, every team, and themselves by focusing on continuous learning and growth.
• Responsible for policies, procedures and standards to utility operations that balance the scale for competitive rates and customer service; Ensure operation’s performance manifest into competitive rates, high quality service and excellent reliability and outage management; Provide for timely preparation and effective management of budgets and financial stewardship pertaining to Utility Operations.
• Prepare and present reports on a variety of utility programs and projects including current and long-range projects; provide engineering and technical information for participation on regulatory and legislative energy matters.
• Responsible for maintaining a positive and engaging work environment by acting and communicating in a manner that promotes positive relations with customers, co-workers and management.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in, business or engineering, or closely related field, MBA is desirable. Experience: Substantial experience in either business administration, engineering, or preferably, a combination of both. Experience should include at least ten (10) years background in public utilities management or equivalent in either the public or private sectors.
Knowledge of: Minnesota State Code, Austin Utilities products, policies and procedures; utility publications and resources; EPA and NERC Policies and Standards, and a variety of software and computer applications
Ability to: Work effectively in the energy, gas and water disciplines; Utilize computer databases and software in the performance of a wide variety of strategic and planning tasks; carry out work assignments as instructed; strong leadership and employee relations skills; communicate effectively orally and in writing in the preparation of reports and presentations; establish and maintain cooperative work relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
WHAT A CAREER AT AUSTIN UTILITIES CAN OFFER YOU…
As a community-owned enterprise for over 100 years, we offer the stability of providing a required service and commodity for our community. We are a diverse team of professionals who take pride in delivering exceptional service to our community through new and innovative technologies. Austin Utilities has created an environment that embraces teamwork and flexibility. Join a diverse team of high performers who take pride in delivering exceptional service to our community and tap into the power of your potential! Austin Utilities is a community-owned, not-for-profit electric, water, and natural gas utility, serving more than 12,000 customers within a community of over 23,000 people. Austin is located in Southeastern Minnesota approximately 12 miles north of the Iowa border, near Rochester and the famed Mayo Clinic, and approximately 100 miles south of the Twin Cities metro area.
How to apply: Please forward resume, cover letter and 2-3 business references to email@example.com. EEO
|Did You Know?
The APGA job bank is one of our most-visited pages, reaching over 700 gas professionals per month. Posting a job here guarantees a lot of high quality views. Posting jobs here is free for APGA members, please contact APGA to post your listing.