Salary $51,200.00 - $76,800.00 Annually
Location 4505 Middlebrook Pike
Job Type Full-Time/Regular
Department Gas Systems Engineering
Closing 3/14/2023 11:59 PM Eastern
Classification: Engineering Associate
Work Hours: 40+ hours / week: M-F
About KUB: KUB is one of the largest public utilities in the country providing safe, reliable, and affordable electric, gas, water, wastewater, and fiber services to more than 478,000 customers in Knoxville and parts of seven surrounding counties. We are looking for employees who want to be a part of a mission driven organization with strong values that support a skilled, diverse, and inclusive workforce.
About the Role: Works with a team of Engineers and Project Coordinators in the natural gas system. Project opportunities within this position are varied and allow for career growth, and include construction project inspection with KUB crews and contractor crews; conduct field surveys and inspections; GPS installed utility facilities; make field decisions and coordinate work with other KUB departments and external agencies. Must become knowledgeable of KUB construction standards and practices, and work with internal and external customers to provide engineering services. Receive training to perform storm response and other emergency duties with other department members.
May require walking up to five miles per day over rough and/or hilly terrain when assisting
with field surveying and layout work. Requires above normal mental and visual alertness
quite frequently. Position may require ability to: drive vehicles; bend, stoop and lift various
objects weighing 10-75 lbs two to three times per week; and work in all types of weather,
with exposure to equipment and machine noise, dirt, and traffic. Physical demands for a
specific position within this classification may vary and / or exceed those demands described
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to read and understand construction drawings, standards, and specifications
- Ability to work as part of a team to achieve departments and KUB goals
- Ability to learn various computer skills including GIS, Excel, SharePoint, Word and Project
- Have and maintain a valid driver's license
- Associates degree in Construction Management, Engineering Technology, Computer-
Aided Drafting and Design, or related field from an accredited community college or
- 2+ years experience in the engineering or construction industry, preferably with a public
- Experience in Construction Project Management or natural gas utility construction
- Experience in various computer skills including GIS, Excel, Word, SharePoint, presentations, and project management software
About the Selection Process:
Phase 1 – Apply online at www.kub.org
Phase 2 – Experience, training, and education evaluation
Phase 3 – Interview with department representatives
Phase 4 – Written, performance, and behavioral exercises
Phase 5 – Background Investigation
Phase 6 – Physical assessment and/or drug screen
- Generous health benefits with low premiums and deductibles
- Benefits start day 1
- Competitive 401(k) contribution and match
- PTO available for use after your first payday
- 11 paid holidays
- Free financial advising
- Educational assistance & professional development opportunities
- Employee physical & mental wellness programs
- KUB employees get 8 hours of volunteer time to give back in the community. More than 18,000 hours have been used at nonprofit organizations since 2014.
- KUB, its customers, and its partners have weatherized more than 1,800 low-income households providing a root cause solution to high energy consumption.
- KUB offers free educational sessions to community groups throughout the year, including electric line safety demonstrations and energy & water savings workshops.
- KUB’s TeenWork Program partners with local high schools to provide students with job readiness training and a summer internship experience.
- By 2024, solar-generated electricity will supply 20% of KUB’s load, positioning Knoxville as a leader in renewable energy regionally and nationally.
- KUB is constructing Knoxville’s first Community Solar project. The solar array is set to go online in 2022.
- KUB offers customers a variety of ways to support a greener future, including its Green Switch Match program and electric vehicle charger incentives.
If special accommodations are needed at any phase of the selection process, please notify Human Resources in advance.
Knoxville Utilities Board is an Equal Opportunity Employer