Salary $74,900.00 - $119,800.00 Annually
Location 4505 Middlebrook Pike
Job Type Full-Time/Regular
Department Gas Systems Engineering
Closing 3/10/2023 11:59 PM Eastern
Work Hours: 40+ hours / week: M - F
About KUB: KUB is one of the largest public utilities in the country providing safe, reliable, and affordable electric, gas, water, wastewater, and fiber services to more than 478,000 customers in Knoxville and parts of seven surrounding counties. We are looking for employees who want to be a part of a mission driven organization with strong values that support a skilled, diverse, and inclusive workforce.
About the Role: This position works with a team of engineers, project coordinators, and inspectors responsible for the planning, design, and oversight of KUB’s natural gas distribution system including pipeline, gate and regulator stations, and industrial meters. Develops plans and advises on pressure management and regulation, hydraulic calculations, and event management using modeling software and engineering judgment. Sizes equipment for use in the distribution system, including regulators, relief valves, and meters. This position consists of designing pipeline projects; preparing construction plans, bid documents, and cost estimates; designing measurement and regulating stations; and coordinating work with construction crews, customers, permitting agencies, contractors, and other KUB departments. In addition, this position provides technical support for emergency response.
Sedentary work; exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time in normal office conditions, but does involve walking or standing outside periodically for inspections, customer calls, etc. Physical demands for a specific position within this classification may vary and/or exceed those demands described above.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Civil, or Engineering degree in another discipline, from a four-year ABET-accredited college or university
- 3 years of experience in engineering, planning, and/or operations of an underground utility
- General knowledge of or ability to learn, utility modeling software, and computer-aided drafting programs such as AutoCAD and/or Solidworks
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to communicate plans, procedures, and objectives effectively
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid driver’s license
- 4+ years of experience in engineering, planning, operations, and/or construction of
natural gas distribution utility
- Ability to obtain an Engineer in Training (EIT) or Professional Engineer (PE) certification
- Knowledge of equipment used in natural gas systems including regulators, relief valves, control valves, and instrumentation systems
About the Selection Process:
Phase 1 – Apply online at www.kub.org
Phase 2 – Experience, training, and education evaluation
Phase 3 – Interview with department representatives
Phase 4 – Written, performance, and behavioral exercises
Phase 5 – Background Investigation
Phase 6 – Physical assessment and/or drug screen
- Generous health benefits with low premiums and deductibles
- Benefits start day 1
- Competitive 401(k) contribution and match
- PTO available for use after your first payday
- 11 paid holidays
- Free financial advising
- Educational assistance & professional development opportunities
- Employee physical & mental wellness programs
- KUB employees get 8 hours of volunteer time to give back in the community. More than 18,000 hours have been used at nonprofit organizations since 2014.
- KUB, its customers, and its partners have weatherized more than 1,800 low-income households providing a root cause solution to high energy consumption.
- KUB offers free educational sessions to community groups throughout the year, including electric line safety demonstrations and energy & water savings workshops.
- KUB’s TeenWork Program partners with local high schools to provide students with job readiness training and a summer internship experience.
- By 2024, solar-generated electricity will supply 20% of KUB’s load, positioning Knoxville as a leader in renewable energy regionally and nationally.
- KUB is constructing Knoxville’s first Community Solar project. The solar array is set to go online in 2022.
- KUB offers customers a variety of ways to support a greener future, including its Green Switch Match program and electric vehicle charger incentives.
If special accommodations are needed at any phase of the selection process, please notify Human Resources in advance.
Knoxville Utilities Board is an Equal Opportunity Employer