Job Title: Budget and Rates Director
Job Code: 41-004
Opens: 01/19/2023 - Closes: 02/02/2023
Apply: CLICK HERE
Huntsville Utilities offers a customer service driven environment, with access to industry-leading technology that supports our employee's work and resources to drive career advancement. Join Us at Huntsville Utilities, where our team is customer service-driven and uniquely focused on one goal: To provide high quality, low cost, safe and reliable electric, natural gas and water service to our customers.
Salary Range/Grade: $117,228.80 - $141,856.00
Benefits: Yes - See Benefits Web Page
Employment Type: Full Time
Department: Finance and Administration
Plans, organizes, and manages budget preparation, leads rates setting activities; and conducts financial analysis as requested. Oversees the purchase and sale of natural gas to assure the integrity of gas supply costs and rates are maintained
- Plans, schedules, and oversees the activities of subordinates. Provide goals that enhance and support the department and company objectives. Ensure proper training and development of subordinates, monitor progress, and evaluate employees.
- Responsible for effectively managing departmental time, resources, and spending.
- Directs generation of the annual operating budgets and 5-year capital plans, determines utility rates, and conducts financial analysis on various utility and strategic projects.
- Document process, provide training and oversight in managing the capital and operating budget process for the company to ensure consistent methodology is used by all departments.
- Oversee and manage the natural gas supply chain, including contract reviews and documentation of purchases/sales for storage and hedging purposes.
- Makes recommendations on rates to management to cover the full cost of doing business now and in the future.
- Monitor and review rates to determine if they are adequate to meet annual revenue projections.
- Review and update overhead rates for each utility on an annual basis.
- Plan, prepare, coordinate, and oversee periodic financial studies, and/or analyses and other reports as necessary.
- Attend meetings in an advisory capacity for the company such as, monthly board meetings, city council meetings, TVA rate committee meetings, gas tariff meetings, etc.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution required. Undergraduate major in business, accounting, finance or a master’s in business administration is preferred.
Ten (10) years of professional experience in utilities or a complex business environment. At least five (5) of those years in a leadership role or experience leading and managing multiple projects and follow through to ensure timely completion is required.. Expertise with financial and analytical applications required. Solid computer skills with proficiencies in retrieving, sorting, and filtering large data sets from multiple systems to perform analytics, modeling, establish metrics, and report on results through both written and data visualization is needed. Demonstrated knowledge in capital and operating budgets, financial analysis and rate structures, as well as contract review experience preferred. Knowledge of TVA and FERC guidelines preferred.
Equipment: Calculator, personal computer and proficiency with MS Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, and PowerPoint applications.
Physical Demands/Environmental Conditions:
Work is performed in an office environment that demands very little or very light physical effort. Must be able to move or lift very light items such as stapler, small hand tools, etc. Seldom required to walk or stand for long periods.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Critical Thinking
- Managing Performance
- Sharing Information
- Demonstrating Initiative
- Driving for Results
The duties and responsibilities outlined within this job description should not be construed as a complete and exhaustive list, as it is not the intention to limit in any way the scope or functions of this position. With the advisement from the Department Head, review/analysis by Compensation Analyst and in agreement from the VP EE, HRD, or his/her designee, these duties and responsibilities may be amended from time to time by addition, deletion or modification to reflect changing circumstances or shifts in organizational requirements.
Huntsville Utilities is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.