Trussville Gas and Water provides Gas service to 8 communities in Central Alabama. Our water coverage area includes parts of Argo, Birmingham, Center Point, Clay, Irondale, Margaret, Pinson and Trussville.
We are recruiting a Gas Service Technician position. This individual performs a variety of natural gas service duties to include customer service-related field tasks as well as skilled work in the installation, maintenance, and repair of the gas distribution systems.
- SAFETY is the number one responsibility of every employee at Trussville Gas and Water – this includes the safe operation and inspection of assigned Company vehicles and equipment.
- Work Orders: Inspect customer gas piping to ensure safe operations. Light pilots of natural gas appliances. Replace, and install, meters and regulators as required by work orders issued from Customer Service. Paint meters as required. Service installation and poly-welding.
- Leak Calls: Respond to assigned leak calls. Evaluate and diagnose leaks on services and mains. Determine next steps, make immediate onsite repairs if possible. When emergency condition exists, call-out first responders and initiate the emergency response plan. Once fully trained the technician will be part of an on-call rotation for after-hours leak investigations.
- Responding to water emergency calls including, but not limited to repairing water meters, service lines and water mains.
- Must become familiar with the contents of the Safety Manual and be involved in creating and maintaining a safe working environment. Must complete all required safety training.
- Must become familiar with the contents of the Natural Gas Operation and Maintenance Plan along with the Natural Gas Emergency Plan.
- Other duties as required, commensurate with experience, skills, and abilities.
- High school diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.).
- Journeyman or Master Gas Fitter certification.
- The position requires pre and post-employment screenings including drug and alcohol testing (as outlined by the Department of Transportation and Pipeline & Hazardous Materials Safety Administration), motor vehicle record (MVR) checks, criminal history checks, and other background checks and verifications.
- Effective verbal communication skills and interpersonal/customer service skills (listening, cooperation, tact, diplomacy).
- Once hired, requires the successful completion of Trussville Gas and Water Gas Operator Qualification (OQ) and On the Job Training (OJT). Must maintain position OQs and any other required OQs and classroom training or certifications. Computer literacy required for completing work orders in customer information system.
- Ability to perform physical activities including but not limited to bending, stooping, grasping, reaching, twisting, turning, and lifting.
- Must be able to lift tools, equipment, and materials up to 60 pounds.
- Ability to complete reports legibly and accurately on paper and digitally.
- Must live within 30 minutes of service area due to call-out response time.
- May be required to hold stand-by duty work shifts, holidays, weekends, emergency call outs, and occasional extended hours.
- Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather and may be exposed to extremes of climate and temperatures, high noise levels, rough terrain, and occasional work on ladders, roofs, attics, and under houses as well as confined spaces.
- Prior utility experience preferred.
- Willingness to develop solid understanding of the gas and water distribution systems.
- Ability to read and interpret maps, blueprints, service orders and written instructions.
- Ability to use small hand tools and other metering and measuring devices.
- Ability to work independently with a minimum direct supervision.
- Effective verbal and written communication.
Trussville Gas and Water offers extremely competitive salaries, an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, and other insurance coverage, generous time-off schedules, training opportunities, tuition reimbursement, and certification support.
Job Type: Full-time
- Normal Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m-5:00 p.m.
- Some overtime including nights and weekends required.
- Natural gas experience, with emphasis on natural gas appliances and piping.
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- State Retirement Plan
- Paid vacation
- Sick leave
- Tuition reimbursement
- Take-home vehicle once fully trained
To learn more about us and apply for this position, visit our website: www.trussville.com
- Be sure to attach your current resume and a cover letter, including salary requirements.
- Trussville Gas and Water provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
- This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.