Utility Engineer – in Gas/Water/Wastewater Operations
View job description. Apply: Visit https://www.decaturutilities.com/job-opportunities to download an application and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applies natural gas and water utility engineering principles, methods, and techniques to plan, evaluate and design natural gas and water distribution systems. Primary duties include all phases of civil engineering, quality assurance/control, system planning, system modeling, and project management/coordination/inspection of the gas and water system. This position may also assist the wastewater collections system.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A commitment to safety, providing reliable utility services, protecting public health and providing excellent customer service are the responsibilities of all job positions at Decatur Utilities. We believe that teamwork, open communication, honesty, integrity, fairness, diversity and respect for each other are essential traits to perform all job duties.
- Scope of work includes all phases civil engineering functions including system planning/design/layout, modeling and coordination, metering, construction, flow and pressure testing and compliance/regulatory functions for gas and water utility systems.
- Prepares plans, specifications, work orders and cost estimates for construction and maintenance of gas and water system.
- Communicates and assists customers and developers on commercial, industrial, and residential services and main extensions. Reviews plans and specifications for conformity to DU requirements.
- Reviews plans and specifications by outside engineers, architects and developers concerning utility improvements and/or extensions for conformity to DU requirements.
- Performs field work such as determining road right-of-way & easement locations using instruments such as GPS unit, level, and transit.
- Maintains records for Public Service Commission and monitors PHMSA code compliance and other regulatory requirements.
- Interacts with customers/developers in person and at job site to handle customer requests relating to utility issues and resolve complaints.
- Collects and compiles data, generates reports and maintains files for the gas and water system.
- Uses computer assisted engineering design software and equipment to perform engineering tasks and system studies.
- Adheres to all safety policies and codes to ensure safe working practices for employees.
The position has no supervisory responsibilities. May coordinate the work of others during major construction or regulatory compliance projects.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Civil, Mechanical, or related engineering field from accredited college or university. Minimum of 2 – 4 years related engineering experience with gas or water utility system. Recent college graduates may be considered if business requirements can accommodate.
Ability to read, interpret and comprehend documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, drawings and procedure manuals. Ability to analyze and prepare engineering and technical reports and business correspondence. Ability to interact and effectively communicate with supervisors, customers, co-workers, mid-level representatives of governmental agencies, contractors, developers, product vendors and other professional groups or contacts in the community. Ability to effectively present information to management, public groups and/or Municipal Utilities Board (MUB).
Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, & Excel) as required to perform job tasks. This includes using software applications for email, word processing, database tracking and spreadsheet applications and using Internet Explorer to navigate online Employee Self-Serve webpage for personal payroll, benefit, and employee information. Must be able to use specialized software applications for ESRI GIS, customer inquiries, modeling, mapping, GPS, and pretreatment.
Ability to apply routine and complex mathematical equations to perform various Civil, Environmental and/or Mechanical Engineering tasks, as related to the gas and water engineering utility field.
Ability to accurately define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw conclusions, and provide valid solutions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Ability to read, interpret and understand technical standards, permits, Local, State and Federal regulations and codes for utility compliance.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
Required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk and hear. May occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities include close vision and distance vision. Occasionally works around electricity, energized equipment, moving mechanical parts and wastewater chemicals, some of which may be hazardous. May be exposed to outside weather conditions, including wet and/or humid conditions, extreme cold and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, TRAINING
Valid Alabama Driver's License; CPR/First Aid Certification; Customer Service Skills and applicable safety training as scheduled.
Available to work scheduled and unscheduled times to accommodate work demands and emergency situations; good organizational and time management skills; ability to handle multiple projects and tasks simultaneously; maintain professional business appearance and image; subject to random drug testing and driver’s license checks. Field work required.
HOW TO APPLY
to download an application and submit it to email@example.com
DU is an Equal Opportunity Employer
PO Box 2232
Decatur, AL 35609-2232