Apply at https://phh.tbe.taleo.net/phh01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=CSU&cws=53&rid=13632&source=APGA
Pay Range: $110,000 to $140,000
Location" Colorado Springs, CO
**This job is eligible for relocation assistance to aid with the costs associated with moving to the Colorado Springs area.
*Utilities is advertising this position at multiple levels, either an Engineer IV or an Engineer V. The successful candidate will be offered a position and corresponding salary commensurate with experience.
Who We Are… In 1924, Colorado Springs voted to create a four-service public utility: electricity, natural gas, water, and wastewater services. Since then, as a municipal utility, our focus has been on the basics - providing exceptional customer service while keeping costs low. We promote a work culture dedicated to innovation, collaboration, and work-life balance. As a community-owned utility, we strive to protect our environment: We live here too and want to keep our city clean and beautiful. Additionally, Colorado Springs Utilities gives back: Employees, their families, and friends volunteer more than 10,000 hours each year on community projects.
Colorado Springs Utilities is actively seeking a talented individual who will offer expertise in the area of Gas resource planning. In this job as a Resource Planning Engineer, you will be part of a highly skilled professional team in the Energy Planning and Innovation section which is comprised of engineers responsible for integrated resource planning of the electric and gas systems which each serve over 200,000 customers. Our mission is to strategically and collaboratively plan the future of safe, reliable, and competitively-priced energy for the citizen owners and customers of Colorado Springs Utilities.
Key areas of focus:
- Leading the development and evaluation of existing and future gas resources, renewable natural gas, and conservation programs
- Leading the development of integrated resource plans and system plans for gas on a 20 to the 30-year planning horizon
- Lead Clean Heat Plan effort detailed in Colorado Senate Bill 21-264
- Evaluate and recommend electrification opportunities for current and future gas customers
- Perform a gas system assessment to determine feasibility and risk from blending hydrogen
- Identify and advocate for gas decarbonization opportunities on the local distribution system
- Leading the development of gas system plans for the Bulk Electric System on the ten-year planning horizon
- Interact with gas transmission pipeline companies to ensure adequate capacity for electric and gas system needs
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert on gas quality and gas tariffs
- Initiate, plan, develop, and implement system resource adequacy by participating in the long-term, strategic Gas and Electric Integrated Resource Planning processes
- Work with other departments including operations, demand-side management, energy supply, fuel supply, transmission, and finance to develop modeling assumptions and analytical methodology
- Coordinate with outside consultants to develop necessary studies that will advance the transition toward cleaner fuel and/or methane recovery
- Incorporate public feedback through surveys, public forums, and townhall events into a long-term planning process
- Support and educate internal stakeholders including management, Compliance, Operations, and other departments on gas planning aspects and challenges
- Actively participate in the development and execution of the Energy Vision for Colorado Springs by working with stakeholders and providing technical expertise to develop strategic vision statements and objectives for the future of the energy services, while understanding and incorporating industry trends and customer expectations
- Document study results in technical reports as well as prepare Request for Proposals
- Support legislative and regulatory efforts by providing subject matter expertise and/or policy analysis
Why should you apply? This is an exciting new position providing an opportunity for multidisciplinary growth within a growth-minded, supportive Engineering team. A variety of projects will provide new experiences from year to year as this position will be involved in many projects from start to finish. As an integral member of the Energy Planning and Innovation team, you will have an opportunity to advance your professional career as you demonstrate your expertise within our organization. You will have the opportunity to work with a very dedicated team of professionals who are passionate about their service to our community. Additionally, we offer a work environment where work-life balance is realized.
What will it take to be successful in this position? A Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical engineering, or closely related engineering discipline is required for this position. Candidates should possess Resource Planning experience. An understanding of the principles of gas transmission, distribution, and infrastructure is desirable. Understanding/experience in natural gas combustion and interchangeability. Knowledge/experience in load forecasting. Understanding of utility rate processes. On-the-job training will be provided for additional skillsets needed. The ideal candidates will offer seven or more years of post-graduation experience within the energy industry or directly relevant field and have the ability to perform complex analysis, planning, and design functions. Candidates need to be strong team players and recognize how their decisions may impact others and seek input from other stakeholders across the organization.
Colorado Springs Utilities offers a comprehensive benefits program to help you and your family protect your health and financial security.
Medical – Select from three medical plans including a Health Savings Account compatible plan
Voluntary Wellness Program – Earn incentives, gift cards, and gym membership reimbursements
Dental – Select from two plans including orthodontia coverage
Vision Insurance – Voluntary plan covering a full range of vision care services
Health Savings Accounts – Tax-advantaged savings account used for healthcare expenses
Flexible Spending Accounts – Tax-advantaged spending accounts for healthcare and/or dependent daycare expenses
Disability Insurance –Short-Term and Long-Term coverage provides income replacement for illness or injury
Life Insurance – Term life coverage with the option to purchase supplemental coverage
Paid Time Off – vacation, personal leave, sick leave, holidays, jury and bereavement
Vacation Buy – Purchase additional vacation time
Pension – Colorado PERA retirement plan funded by both employees and the organization.
Retirement Saving Programs - Supplement your pension with PERA 401(k) or PERA Roth 401(k), ICMA Roth IRA, ICMA 457, or 457 Roth plan
Educational Assistance – Financial assistance for qualifying courses
Additional Benefits - Employee Assistance Program, and Long-Term Care Insurance
ATTENTION: Colorado Springs Utilities is considered an essential business delivering critical services to our community. If selected for an interview, we may leverage remote technology solutions including the enhanced use of email, telephone, and video solutions as part of the hiring process where possible.
All postings will close at 11:59 pm on the Posting Close Date. Candidates must apply for the position prior to this date and time. If the Posting Close Date is blank, the position will remain open until filled.
Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
Colorado Springs Utilities does not sponsor work visas of any kind (including but not limited to F-1, H-1B, or TN visas). Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
Colorado Springs Utilities is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Our differences make us richer. Learning and growing from one another makes us more than what we were. We want our workforce to be as diverse as our business and recognize the limitless benefits of this commitment. Our desire is to have the organization reflect the diversity of the Pikes Peak Region. As an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, it is our commitment that no person shall be unlawfully discriminated against because of race, color, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, religious convictions, veteran status, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Affirmative Action is Colorado Springs Utilities’ effort to ensure positive steps are taken to have a representative workforce reflective of the relevant available labor force.
For more information regarding applicant rights, visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm
Accessibility Accommodations. If you are an individual with a disability or disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tools to search and apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 719-668-7500. This option is reserved for individuals who are unable to use or require assistance with the online tools as the result of a disability and is not intended for other purposes.
E-Verify and Right to Work Notice. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Colorado Springs Utilities participates in E-Verify. For more information on your rights and responsibilities as an applicant, please visit: http://coloradospringsutilities.jobs/applicants-rights-and-responsibilities/. If you have a legal right to work in the United States, there are laws to protect you against discrimination in the workplace. You should know that no employer can deny you a job or fire you because of your national origin. Unless mandated by law or government contract, employers cannot require you to be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident or refuse any legally acceptable documents. If any of these things have happened to you, you may have a valid charge of discrimination that can be filed with the OSC. Contact the OSC for assistance in your own language. Call 1-800-255-7688. TDD for the hearing impaired is 1-800-237-2515. In the Washington, D.C., area, please call 202-616-5594, TDD 202-616-5525 Or write to: U.S. Department of Justice Office of Special Counsel NYA 950 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W. Washington, DC 20530.
Have a question? If you have a question about a position or need assistance from a recruiter, email us at email@example.com
or call 719-668-7500.