Immediate Supervisor: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
How to Apply: Send resume to Mburgess@southalabamagas.org and email@example.com
Job Summary: The Chief Operating Officer (COO) oversees the organization’s ongoing operations and procedures. As a key member of the senior management team, the COO reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The COO is responsible for the efficiency of the business, which includes the supply, transmission, and distribution of gas; planning, designing, and organizing the installation of new main / service lines; identification and location of current distribution system for mapping on the GIS system; supervision of the SCADA system; and coordination and supervision to provide system maintenance and operation.
- Plan, design and implement assigned projects.
- Ensure the compliance of all applicable regulatory bodies.
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management to all operating personnel.
- Supervision of gas control and SCADA operations.
- Analyzes and coordinates computer programs, communication systems etc. with CEO.
- Preparation of the District’s budget with CFO and staff.
- Maintain necessary inventory for operations and maintenance.
- Provides timely, accurate and complete reports on the operating condition of the District.
- Analyzes operational issues within the District and makes appropriate recommendations to the CEO.
- Directs and assist in the implementations of the marketing programs.
- Directs and assist in the implementations of safety and training programs.
- Initiate purchase orders.
- Perform standby duties.
- Perform other tasks as assigned or required.
- Proven experience as Chief Operating Officer or relevant role.
- Extensive knowledge of natural gas distribution operations.
- Extensive knowledge of all applicable regulatory bodies.
- High-level understanding of all business functions such as IT, HR, Finance, Marketing, etc.
- Demonstrable competency in strategic planning and business development.
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics.
- Working knowledge of IT/Business infrastructure and MS Office.
- Outstanding organizational and leadership abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills.
- Aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving.
This position has overall supervisory responsibility for all corporate operations.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This position regularly requires long hours and occasional weekend work.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel is expected.
Experience, Training, Education:
- Bachelor's degree in related engineering field.
- At least eight (8) years of strong operational experience.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Professional Engineer in engineering or related field.
- At least five years in a senior management role.
- Demonstrated experience in financial planning and analysis with previous experience overseeing human resources, information technology, and legal.
- Skilled in organizational development, personnel management, budget and resource development, and strategic planning.
- Excellent people skills, with an ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team.
- Possess personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to corporate mission.
- Flexible and able to multitask; can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems.
- Maintain applicable certifications.
- Willing to pass a non-federal drug test for any of the following cases, at your pre-employment drug test, random drug test, post-accident drug test, and reasonable suspicion test.
- Valid Alabama driver’s license.
- Willing to work in inclement weather.