Position: General Manager
Reporting Relationship: MGED Board of Commissioners (5)
Location: Middleborough, MA
DATE: November 6, 2023, application review to begin on December 18, 2023
Industry: Municipally Owned Natural Gas & Electric Utility
Minimum Education: Bachelors in Finance, Business or Engineering (or Bachelors with substantial professional energy utility experience).
Minimum Experience: 15 Years – Utility Distribution (Natural Gas and Electric) Systems
Application Deadline: December 18, 2023
All interested applicants must submit a cover letter and resume to Laura Robbins, Human Resources Manager, 32 South Main Street, Middleborough, Massachusetts 02346 or HR@mged.com on or before December 18, 2023.
Job Type: Full Time, 40.00 Hours
Schedule: Monday- Friday, 8:00 AM- 4:00 PM
Retirement: Plymouth County Retirement Group 4
Compensation: The compensation package, expected to range between $185,000-$215,000 in annual salary includes a generous benefit package, negotiable based on experience and qualifications.
Middleborough Gas & Electric Department (MGED) is a community-owned municipal utility that serves the needs of the communities of Middleborough (electric and natural gas) and Lakeville (electric). MGED takes pride in a 130-year history of excellence in serving the energy needs of approximately 18,000 customers in a territory that covers more than 100 square miles, and has an annual revenue of $55 million.
MGED is committed to follow a strategic plan that has supported a Standard & Poor’s Grade AA- investment rating, as well as a Smart Energy Provider (SEP) recognition and Diamond level RP3 (Reliable Public Power Provider) rating by the American Public Power Association (APPA), and a Bronze SOAR Award (System Operational Achievement Recognition) with the American Public Gas Association (APGA).
The mission of MGED is to provide natural gas and electric energy and related services in an economic, reliable, safe and environmentally conscious manner in the true spirit of public service to the people and communities we serve.
Consistent with Massachusetts General Law Chapter 164, the General Manager of MGED reports to an elected board of five Gas & Electric Commissioners, and is responsible for managing MGED’s staff (currently 68 full-time positions) and operation of the natural gas, and electric distribution systems, and electric transmission investment for the benefit of MGED customers in Middleborough and Lakeville, Massachusetts. The position supports and cultivates a safety-focused work culture dedicated to providing reliable, cost-effective and environmentally conscious service.
The GM is responsible for legal, compliance, and financial oversight, energy efficiency programs, customer satisfaction, power and natural gas supply purchases, hedging and advocacy at the local, state and federal level, and identifying and developing decarbonization initiatives.
- Participates in the development of Utility objectives, plans, and goals; conceives and recommends a range of programs and services designed to support objectives and strategic planning initiatives and to enhance the provision of quality programs and services. Participates in the preparation of policy statements and serves on a variety of committees in support of Utility operations.
- Provides vision and leadership in fast-paced operational and business environment characterized by shifting State and Federal regulations.
- Develops plans to meet Commission objectives with input from MGED colleagues and subject matter experts. Determines standards of performance to meet operational and financial objectives. Collaborates with staff on selection, training, and development of staff; recommends/approves compensation, promotion, transfer, or discipline as appropriate. Ensures a safe working environment through provision of regular safety training for all staff.
- Organizes and directs labor relations activities in consultation with Labor counsel.
- Directs and participates in the preparation of utility operating and capital budgets in compliance with local, State, and Federal regulations, policies, and procedures. Authorizes and establishes criteria for expenditures within authority. Approves cash flow and revenue management activities. Manages unanticipated expenses related to critical and emergency conditions.
- Responsible for business growth, and the oversight of delivery of energy services to customers in an economic and safe manner, and the timely and accurate completion of various compliance filings for State and Federal agencies.
- Attends various Utility meetings, prepares and presents reports, and works with MGED colleagues to respond to technical and financial requests.
- Responds to inquiries from organizations, community members, commercial customers, developers and others. Provides updates to Commissioners and refers appropriate purchasing and policy matters to the Commission Chair. Consults with legal counsel and elected officials as necessary in support of Utility operations.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Finance, Engineering or Business Administration
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years of full-time experience in the electric and natural gas utility industry in an operations capacity with a progression in management experience.
- Working knowledge of municipal, state and federal industry regulations related to the energy industry.
- Prior experience with labor relations and collective bargaining agreements (CBAs).
- Direct experience supervising both at-will staff and employees working under CBAs.
- Familiarity with New England energy markets, operational history and regulations. Experience with Massachusetts markets and regulations a plus.
- Prior experience with developing and/or interconnection of renewable energy projects.
- Experience with strategic planning for decarbonization implementation, customer electrification rebates and energy efficiency programs.
- Prior work in strategic planning and financial planning related to operations, projects and long-term capital.
- Prior experience with emergency utility operations including restoration of the electrical system after an impactful weather event, mutual aid request and support process, and with response planning for a gas emergency.
- Must be able to maintain availability at all times as crisis situation may arise at a moment’s notice.
- Successful track record of maintaining effective working relationships with government officials/committees.
A Successful Candidate Will Possess:
- Ethical Integrity Consistent with MGED’s Core Values
- Honesty, Integrity and Responsible behavior are critical characteristics needed to achieve success in this role.
- High emotional intelligence that embraces the values of selflessness, equality, empathy, respect and confidentiality to align with MGED’s mission statement.
- • Ability To Deal With Unknown
- Flexibility in times of need and the capability to listen, process fast-changing and limited information and make complex decisions.
- Understanding that new predicaments can arise with short notice and it is the responsibility of the GM to utilize appropriate resources including personal experience and multiple problem-solving tools to discern an effective solution.
- Ability to own problems and find solutions.
- Communicate To Motivate And Inspire Others
- The ability to utilize clear and effective communication as a powerful tool to motivate, inspire, lead, empower and cultivate growth at all levels within the organization, industry and community.
- Create direct lines of communication with MGED colleagues, Commission, Town Departments of Middleborough/ Lakeville, town residents and outside vendors.
MGED is an equal opportunity employer.