Apply online at: https://phh.tbe.taleo.net/phh01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=CSU&cws=53&rid=15645&source=apga
Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Pay Range $450,000 to $520,000
Location Colorado Springs, CO
Date First Posted 11/18/22
Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
(Applications will be accepted through December 18, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. Mountain)
The Chief Executive Officer is responsible for leading the organization and providing leadership and guidance to division officers. The CEO is responsible for carrying out the overall direction for the organization as set by the Utilities Board through the governance policy statements. The CEO establishes and maintains effective relationships with governmental and legislative bodies and currently oversees seven direct reports. The CEO holds ultimate oversight responsibility for an operational budget of approximately $1.6 billion.
Who We Are...
Colorado Springs Utilities is one of the largest four-service public utilities in the nation, providing water, wastewater, electric, and natural gas services to 500,000 residents in the Pikes Peak region. Our work culture is dedicated to innovation, collaboration, and synergy, and we are a national leader in reliability, with power on an average of 99.991% of the time. We have been awarded the Diamond Designation from the American Public Power Association, for having some of the highest ratings in reliability, safety, workforce development, and system improvements among the nation’s 2,000+ public utilities. Nestled at the base of the Rocky Mountains, Colorado Springs is the perfect blend of mountain and city living. This is one reason Colorado Springs has been named the #1 MOST DESIRABLE place to live in America for 4 straight years.
- Inspiring a shared vision and driving operational excellence
- Demonstrating financial responsibility for a treasured community asset valued at over $4½ billion and a 2023 operating budget of approximately $1.6 billion
- Leading the organization by setting strategic direction and developing senior leadership
- Promoting innovation and continuous improvement
- Fostering a culture where no person is unlawfully discriminated against because of race, color, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, religious convictions, veteran status, disability, political beliefs, or sexual orientation and taking positive steps to have a diverse workforce reflective of the relevant available labor force
Who you are...
You will demonstrate the ability to balance the needs of multiple stakeholders and have the strategic agility to be at the forefront of changes in the utility industry. This will include demonstrated results building relationships both internally and externally and the ability to build on our reputation of excellence in the community. Additionally, you will offer…
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in engineering, environmental science, business, or other appropriate discipline. An advanced degree (i.e., MBA, MS, MPA, or JD) will distinguish the most competitive candidates
- 5 years of experience in a senior leadership capacity preferably with a public utility; experience in both energy and water utilities will distinguish the most attractive candidates
- Experience working for or closely with an oversight board and external stakeholders, to include legislative/regulatory bodies, customers, the business community, the media and the public
- Comprehensive knowledge of, or the ability to quickly grasp, laws and regulations governing electric generation and distribution as well as Western water rights and regulatory issues regarding water quality and reuse
- Insight and expertise to predict and anticipate evolving energy generation changes including an increased reliance on renewable energy
- Demonstrated success managing an operating and capital budget of significant size
Our Commitment to our Employees...
Our people are the heart and soul of Colorado Springs Utilities. They keep the lights on, gas flowing, water coming in, and wastewater leaving. We do not just say people are important – we prove it! That’s why we are honored to invest in protecting the health and financial security of our employees and their families through our benefit programs. Benefits included as part of this key leadership role include:
- Medical / Pharmacy- Select from three comprehensive medical plans administered by Cigna. Our medical plan is self-funded, providing our employees the benefit of lower premiums and national healthcare access under the Open Access Plus network. Two plans include a health reimbursement account (HRA) and one is a qualified high-deductible health plan with a health savings account (HSA). These three medical plans allow you to take control of your healthcare costs while providing affordable benefits and quality coverage.
- Dental– Select from two Delta Dental plans, with in-network preventive care covered at 100%.
- Vision– Voluntary plan from Anthem Blue View Vision, offering full vision care services and one of the largest nationwide networks, with a selection of experienced ophthalmologists, optometrists, opticians, and retail locations.
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)– Getting a root canal this year? Paying for your child’s daycare? Why not do it in a way that saves you money through a tax-advantaged spending account for healthcare and/or dependent daycare expenses.
- Wellness– A voluntary program that awards you for making self-care a priority! Both you and your spouse can each earn up to $500 to use towards healthcare expenses, $100 in Visa gift cards, and up to $400 in gym membership reimbursements.
- Disability Coverage– Need to go out on maternity leave? Planned knee surgery? Short-Term (STD) and Long-Term Disability (LTD) insurance is designed to provide you with income replacement while you’re out of commission.
- Life Insurance– It’s about protecting your family and your loved ones in the event of the worst-case scenario. Our company paid life insurance benefit through The Hartford provides coverage up to 1.5x your annual salary, with the option to purchase supplemental life insurance coverage. The Hartford also offers AD&D insurance to provide you peace of mind knowing that your family is taken care of.
- Pension Plan– Looking forward to a comfortable lifestyle once you’re done working? Colorado Public Employees’ Retirement Association (PERA) provides peace of mind for you in retirement. PERA qualifies as a bona fide fringe benefit, thereby exempting employees from paying into the Social Security system. As a result, in lieu of Social Security coverage, PERA provides benefits to you when you retire, if you are disabled or to your family upon your death. As a PERA member, you contribute a percent (currently 8.5%) of your monthly salary to your PERA member contribution account and Colorado Springs Utilities contributes an additional percentage (currently 10.5%) into the pension trust fund. For more information visit the PERA website at copera.org.
- Retirement Saving Programs– Did you know that experts recommend saving at least 15% of your annual salary for retirement? Supplement your pension plan with voluntary retirement programs such as the PERAPlus 401(k) and MissionSquare’s Roth IRA, and 457 plans. Your future self will thank you.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)– Don’t sweat the big stuff. EAP can help make the going a little easier by aiding with mental health, stress management, work-life balance, financial and legal matters, and much more.
- Long-Term Care Insurance (LTC)– Whether it's due to an accident or a serious illness, LTC is the type of care you may need if you could no longer perform the basic activities of daily living (bathing, dressing, eating, etc.). This benefit, provided through Unum, is available for yourself, your spouse, parents or grandparents, children, siblings (minimum age 18), and in-laws.
- Holidays– Enjoy 10 paid holidays per year: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day following Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.
- Personal Leave– Enjoy 3 days per year of personal leave (up to 24 hours, not eligible to be carried over).
- Sick Leave– Accrue 3.6924 hours per pay period (approximately 12 days per year) for those days when you are feeling under the weather. If you don't take much sick time, you'll benefit from our sick leave conversion and incentive programs.
- Family Sick Leave– Annually, you may use a portion of your accrued sick leave when it is necessary to be absent to care for an immediate family member.
- Vacation Buy– Need more time off to take that coast-to-coast road trip or finish that kitchen remodel? You have the option to purchase up to 40 hours of additional vacation time each year. Hours purchased are paid for through payroll deductions spread over the year on an after-tax basis. Hours can be used throughout the year or carried over up to the annual carry-over policy limits.
- Vacation Accruals– You will accrue paid vacation for years of continuous employment with Colorado Springs Utilities, beginning with 15 days per year with an additional day per year for each of the following years until you reach your 11th year (culminating in 26 days per year)
- Relocation Assistance– If you reside outside the Pikes Peak Region